5 Reason's to use Chiropractic During Pregnancy
- Managing pregnancy-related symptoms
To name a few: Fatigue, Nausea (morning sickness), Headaches, Heartburn, Constipation, Back Pain & Pelvis Pain, Sciatica and Swelling… can be improved or resolved with chiropractic care!
HOW? Because of chiropractic’s influence on the nervous system. BUT, you don’t have to wait for a crisis!! Getting check and adjusted during pregnancy improves health and lowers risk of complications.
Research: 84% of patients receiving chiropractic reported relief of back pain during pregnancy. There was significantly less likelihood of back labor when adjustments were administered during pregnancy. (1)
- Proper positioning of baby in the womb
AKA get that breech baby’s head down to avoid c-section!!! (and avoid other interventions)
Webster Technique, allowing for pelvis and associated muscle/ligament balance creating environment for baby to position themselves normal. The Webster Technique may help you avoids the costs and/or risks of ECV, cesarean section or vaginal trial of breech.
Research: 82% success rate in mal-positioned babies (breech, posterior, etc) turning to proper position. (2)
- Significantly shorter labor
Vaginal delivery is strongly dependent on the alignment and relationship between mom’s pelvis and baby. If mom has misalignments, it can interfere with effective labor and delivery, thus prolonging it.
Research: 1st time moms who received regular chiropractic care experienced on average, a 25% shorter labor time. As for seasoned moms who received chiropractic care; labor time was on average, 31% shorter. (3)
- It is safe!!!!
It has been found that chiropractic is 200X safer than a signal aspirin or Tylenol. Adjustments are most often very comfortable (mom-to-be can lay on their tummy on special tables). There is no need for a MD referral.
Research: A 1 in 250 million chance of injury means the patient has a greater chance of being hit by lightning than having an injury from a chiropractic adjustment. (4) Versus 1 in 65 pediatric hospital visit is due to an adverse drug reaction (most commonly from antibiotic.) (5)
- Well versed in all aspects of pregnancy, natural childbirth & natural health
Chiropractors can offer stretching & exercise advice, nutritional advice and be a good resource for pregnancy and natural lifestyles. A few examples include Pathways magazine in office, referral and resource for local group, providers and events! Research: High patient satisfaction, ranging from 88-96.3% (6)
Southeast Minnesota Childbirth Network
for local resources & referrals
International Chiropractic Pediatric Association
and on the lower left click "ICPA Chiropractic Research and Publications"
Look through over ten years of published ICPA research on the safety and efficacy of chiropractic
- Diakow PR, Gadsby TA, Gadsby JB, Gleddie JG, Leprich DJ, Scales AM. Back pain during pregnancy and labor. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 1991 (Feb); 14 (2): 116-118
- Pistolese RA. The Webster Technique: a chiropractic technique with obstetric implications. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2002 Jul-Aug;25(6): E1-9
- Borggren,C. Journal of Chiropractic Medicine Volume 6, Issue 2, June 2007, Pages 7-74. Labor time
- Richard A. Pistolese, B.Sc. Journal of Vertebral Subluxation Research ~ Volume 2 ~ Number 2 ~ Pages 1-9. Risk Assessment of Neurological and/or Vertebrobasilar Complications in the Pediatric Chiropractic Patient. (Risk of Complications in Pediatric Patients under Chiropractic Care)
- Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2002 Feb; 53(2): 207–210. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1874283/
Below is a printable PDF of this information 🙂